Dark Age Version 0.4.1006 Released!

Started by
51 comments, last by Black Knight 14 years, 4 months ago
Hi Nathan!Im glad you liked the game and thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them.Sheeps are not meant to be killed so thats probably a bug about skills being used on non hostile chars.
I will add a map of the area soon.Probably a render to texture from the top will do.Right mouse button is used for blocking enemy attacks right now.You have to use it after the enemy has completed 75% of its attack progress.You can walk down steep cliffs but you can't walk back up the only exception to this is when you are in water.This makes it harder to get stuck.Yea I need to improve my grammer :) Or find someone who can write quest texts.Actuall you don't even have to use the world editor the quest files are all txt files stored under Data/World folder.Goblins getting stuck is probably because of my sucky collision code :) I guess you killed them with the bow because they can melee you even if they are stuck right?
About difficulty I haven't really tweaked it after I changed the combat system and made changes to how energy works but I think its pretty challenging.I might still modify a few things.
Again thanks for spending the time and testing everything.I see you have found the mountain castle :) Haven you been to the city too?You need to go north across the bridge and then follow the road west.BTW is save/load feature working properly?
Advertisement
Whoa, I had no idea about the block thing! *Tests it out* Cool! Makes the game a bit easier, which is good for the dungeon.

Mostly you just forget to have a ' ' after a ,.?! :P.

Yep, killed them with the bow. Was a lot easier then getting them down 45 or so points of health and dieing(with Melee), although with block it should be possible.

Haha, no problem it's actually a fun game, can't wait for more quests and content! Yeah I found that city, went through it and the gates worked which was cool (I was hoping for more quests!). As far as I could tell everything saved and loaded properly.

Engineering Manager at Deloitte Australia

Yea I am planning to add tons of quests in and around the city.There will some related to the mountain you climbed and also in a forest east of Karatin.They are planned out and written on my design notebook :) but not implemented yet.
Both editor and game crash to desktop with "Can't find file: userPrefs.ini". I got the included dx and vs runtimes and i'm running Windows 7 x64. Tried to run it as administrator but to no use.

Heres the log file:
Log file created on Wed Nov 18 20:42:12 2009File = .\src\WinMain.cppFunction = WinMainLine = 19Message = Dark Age Started!File = .\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cppFunction = STE::D3D9Renderer::getTextLine = 555Message = Arial 15 returning null font.File = .\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cppFunction = STE::D3D9Renderer::getTextLine = 555Message = Gaeilge 1 20 returning null font.File = .\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cppFunction = STE::D3D9Renderer::getTextLine = 555Message = Arial 12 returning null font.File = .\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cppFunction = STE::D3D9Renderer::getTextLine = 555Message = Gaeilge3d returning null font.File = .\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cppFunction = STE::D3D9Renderer::getEffectLine = 296Message = Can't find effect terrain.fxFile = .\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cppFunction = STE::D3D9Renderer::getEffectLine = 296Message = Can't find effect water.fxFile = .\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cppFunction = STE::D3D9Renderer::getEffectLine = 296Message = Can't find effect sky.fxFile = .\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cppFunction = STE::D3D9Renderer::getEffectLine = 296Message = Can't find effect model.fxFile = .\src\WinMain.cppFunction = WinMainLine = 49Message = Dark Age Ended!
Ok the userPrefs.ini should be inside the games folder, but it should be copied by the game to you documents folder under USER/Documents/Dark Age/userPrefs.ini

Can you check if it exists?You can copy it manually from the game folder.
Got it to work by manually creating a folder named "Documents" in my user directory and then put "Dark Age/userPrefs.ini" in there. I'm using a custom locaiton for my Documents folder (another hard drive actually) so thats probably why it did not work.
Yea probably.I had to use the documents folder because when I used the programfiles folder for the userPrefs.ini and the game is not in administrator mode you can't write to program files.So the save games and config files are under documents darkage.
I uploaded a new exe with a couple of fixes.You can't kill friendly NPCs with powerful blow skill anymore :) Also you can't walk on air when you get off the edge of the bridges.

I also uploaded the world editor video to youtube here is the
">link
Black Knight,

I'm a big fan, I messed around with one of your older versions a while back but unfortunately I get errors trying to open this build.

Installation was fine. I get the settings box at the beginning, I've tried various resolutions and toggled fullscreen/vsync but I always get the (not very helpful) error "Dark Age.exe has stopped working".

Im on Vista Ultimate 32-bit, 3GHz E8400 Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8800GS, DirectX 11. Same computer I ran the older build on.

Looks great though, keep it up.
- Haptic
Is there anything useful in the log file?Do you have a Dark Age folder under My Documents?
These errors are forcing me to put the vc++ and dx dlls into the same folder as the exe and remove the installer all together.This would also remove the problems with UAC as the game will be just a folder on your desktop.

[Edited by - Black Knight on November 26, 2009 12:25:52 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement